Next: How others do
Up: Financing common infrastructure
Previous: A mixed model
Several lessons have been learned from the German approach to securing
NIC services on the long term.
- No single service provider alone can fund NIC services. NIC
services are deemed to run in a monopoly or the service provider has
disadvantages against the competition. Trying to monopolize a NIC does
- There has to be a broad consensus amongst the service providers
how to set up the funding. A minority will not manage it.
- NIC services can be provided neutral and independant from a
single service provider.
- A service provider consortium together with direct availability
of NIC services seems to work.
- End users sometimes have funny ideas as how the NIC business works
Fri Apr 28 15:28:39 MET DST 1995