Internet Society Mission Statement
"To assure the open development, evolution and use of the Internet for the
benefit of all people throughout the world."
Internet Society Guiding Principles
- Open, unencumbered, beneficial use of the Internet.
- Self-regulated content providers; no prior censorship of on-line
- On-line free expression is not restricted by other indirect means such as
excessively restrictive governmental or private controls over computer hardware
or software, telecommunications infrastructure, or other essential components
of the Internet.
- Open forum for the development of standards and Internet technology.
- No discrimination in use of the Internet on the basis of race, color,
gender, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social
origin, property, birth, or other status.
- Personal information generated on the Internet is neither misused nor used
by another without informed consent of the principal.
- Internet users may encrypt their communication and information without
- Encouragement of cooperation between networks: Connectivity is its own
reward, therefore network providers are rewarded by cooperation with each
11150 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 100
Reston, VA 20191 USA
Tel: +1 703 326 9880
Fax: +1 703 326 9881
4, rue des Falaises
1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: + 41 22 807 1444
Fax: + 41 22 807 1445